Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Annoyances

The phrase is "For all INTENTS AND PURPOSES," not "For all intensive purposes!"

My friends, this is an egregious error. My friends, you are all my heroes, and we are all friendly. You know who isn't friendly? That one.

The debate was a farce. This election is over. Sarah Palin was the best thing to ever happen to Barack Obama.

By the way, I didn't hear either candidate say that phrase incorrectly, I just read it on someone's blog, who was discussing it. It's one of those errors like Statue vs. Statute of Limitations, or improper usage of Their/There/They're, To/Too/Two, and Your/You're that is just unforgivable. Once I can disregard as a typo, but continual improper usage really irks me.

Anyway, I'm not a Grammar Nazi, but the Copy Editing class I'm taking may turn me into one. Damned if I knew before 2 weeks ago what a "dangling participle" was.

Time to go eat myself into a coma, to prepare for the Fast. Goodbye for now, my friends.

1 comment:

JV said...

I know you hate it when people miss say that phrase. I do it around you sometimes, just b/c I love you. I mean hate you. But we all know that I'm a huge grammar nazi.